[Market-farming] Tell us about the cukes!

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Mon Nov 23 10:28:55 EST 2009

Allan Balliett wrote:
> Someone help me here: has Eliot Coleman quit growing cool season
> crops in for harvest in December/January due to the slow growth the
> comesfrom short days/low sun? It seem to me I read that somewhere.

Well, he just published a book on the topic of winter production:

http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Harvest-Handbook-Production-Greenhouses/dp/1603580816/

The crux of this book is that he does two different types of greenhouse:
cool (barely heated above 0C), and cold (not heated at all).  Different
crops works in different type of greenhouse.  In the depth of winter,
growth is extremely slow (if not nil); as such, the trick for winter
harvest is to grow crops in the fall, and cover them for winter harvest.

I have never experimented any of the above, I am just reporting what I
have read in the book.  If anybody have actual experience with these
practices, I would love to hear about their experiences to correlate and
compare with what Coleman advocate in his book.