[Market-farming] seed companies

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Nov 17 19:37:19 EST 2009

Road's End Farm, a selection of seed companies I've ordered from
recently (I may have left somebody out): I've only included contact
info for a couple that I think are not online, but can post it for the
others if anybody needs it.

Fedco: good prices, good selection, extremely wide variety of packaging
sizes, some organic, it's a co-op. Varieties suited to Maine and
similar climates.

E&R: very good prices, some organic, a lot of untreated seed, good
variety packaging sizes, not the fastest service

Johnny's: pricey but very fast shipping and good service, good variety
packaging sizes, some organic, untreated mostly, employee owned.

Seed Savers Exchange: the place to go when you really need the right
strain of something; some items also available in large sizes; not
cheap, but the catalogue supports the variety maintenance efforts; some
organic; untreated.

High Mowing: all organic; also not cheap; selection expanding but often
still limited; service generally good (except for a couple of years
ago, but they seem to have gotten over it); varieties suited to Vermont
and similar climates.

Pinetree: great remaindered book list; seed in small quantities only,
good range of varieties including some unusual ones; they and their
seed trials are in Maine

Territorial Seed Co., in Oregon, some varieties not available
elsewhere, untreated, some organic, expensive, fast shipping

Turtle Tree Biodynamic Seed Initiative, Camphill Village, Copake NY
12516.   518-329-3037 telephone for catalogues, various other phone
numbers for orders. All biodynamic, some certified organic, All seed
suppliers listed in catalogue, not cheap, many varieties not available
elsewhere.

Lakeview Organic Grain: cover crop and field crop seed, not vegetable
seed, most of it locally sourced. I don't know if they mail order,
though they do deliver over a fairly wide area (they're in Penn Yan,
NY); I'm lucky enough to live close enough to pick up and save the
shipping charges.

Mapple Farm, the only place I know for organic sweet potato slips; they
carry a little seed but not much; 129 Beech Hill Rd., Weldon NB, Canada
E4H 4N5 <wingate at nbnet.nb.ca> (I don't know if they have a website)

Fisher's Seeds, PO Box 236, Belgrade MT 59714, (mailing address; store
street address is 20750 East Frontage Road) 406-388-6052 : this is a
small company, not online; Judy Fisher answers the phone, packs the
seed, and I think does a lot of the rest of the work; they buy some
seed but do a lot of their own seed production and seed breeding; they
have varieties for Montana and other short-season climates that are not
available elsewhere, and were for some time the only source of Jumbo
bush Italian bean (this had been all over, then the one producer quit
producing it, and it disappeared from dozens of different seed
companies. Fisher's. however, grew some of it themselves, so they still
had it.) Many items only in small quantities. I love Fisher's. please
give them some business.

I also buy a few things I like but that are hard to find from Burpee's,
sometimes Tomato Growers' Supply, sometimes Veseys, occasionally from
the HPS family.

(A note on the HPS family: HPS, Shumway, Jung's, Vermont Bean, Totally
Tomatoes are all owned by the same people. They have refused to tell me
who the owner is. They do, however, have a lot of untreated seed, which
generally arrives as ordered and grows OK.)