[Market-farming] Flail mowers

Two Onion Farm farmer at twoonionfarm.com
Sat Nov 14 07:54:54 EST 2009

I am looking to buy a 3 point flail mower to use for mowing tall
cover crops of winter rye, oats, and sorghum sudangrass before
tilling them into the soil.  I have used a rotary brush mower in the
past but I would like to switch to a flail mower so that the material
will be chopped more finely and evenly distributed.  I have been
looking at Rhino, Landpride, Befco, and similar flail mowers.

Landpride offers a reverse rotation flail mower.  Does anyone have
experience using reverse rotation flail mowers - I am concerned that
tall material which is laid down in the wheel tracks will not be
picked up as well by a reverse rotation mower.

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm