[Market-farming] starting out with micro-greens

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Wed Nov 11 21:22:06 EST 2009

Breck

I broadcast the seeds by hand.  I am sure there are more efficient
ways of doing it.  Radish seeds when you buy ten pounds of them are
cheap.  Mizuna...well, I am a little more lean on those, but you can't
tell.  Mizun, especially a purple or burgundy variety gets pricey to
blow it on micros.  Micros as much as they are a good business deal
are wasteful in terms of seed use.  They are great for winter when you
cannot grow anything, but if I let all those seeds I use mature, using
the soil on my farm and the sun, I would be looking at a good thirty
to forty pounds of nice lettuce/greens.  More with the radishes.

Total costs range right around 180.00 not including the trays.  The
trays were provided by a restaurant free of charge.  The fit both our
shelving units and theirs perfectly.  THe idea is that you are
germinating enough to fit your needs the following order, so you
always need about three orders with in the process.  A tray ready to
sell, a tray of seeds germinating, and tray of mid range sprouts.  Its
a simple and constant on monotonous rotation.  Not setting seeds to
germinate at the right time will catch you are the wrong time if they
are not ready when the restaurant needs them.  Sometimes they need
more...sometimes less.  If less...well, I eat salads and my wife loves
the micros mixed in with the greens pulled from the farm.  :)

I am searching for boxes that will fit them so I can stack them in the
back of my truck for higher density transport.

I am thinking that I will harvest, weight, and bag at the market.  I
thinking about 32.00 a pound.

The resertaunts I sell to all keep their micros (trayed or cut) in
their walk-ins.  Cool and Dark.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio