[Market-farming] starting out with micro-greens

breck bcarden at breckinridgegroup.com
Wed Nov 11 08:48:18 EST 2009

Hey Richard would you mine discussing your process in a bit more detail.
I've been playing around with this idea.

How are you seeding? Seed plates? Sprinkle?

Do you ever mix different veggies in the same tray? Do you think the
different germination/growing rates would make this problematic?

Are you able to stack for delivery?

How is the chef using; as a garnish or as a salad?

How long do they keep the flats? I guess they are using them within a couple
of days or are watering and keeping under lights.

Do any of them display for customers?

What does your sales pitch entail?

At your winter market; maybe you could sell it for $13 plus a $2 deposit on
the tray/mix. This would get them to come back to you each week. Perhaps you
could use a mix of veggies in each of these trays. Folks might like the
novelty and freshness. They could feel like a real farmer harvesting their
own produce. I am going to grow some out for 9 or so days then bring them up
and place on my kitchen counter to see how they last to get a better
perspective.

Thanks,

Farmer Breck

Breck Carden