[Market-farming] Squash bug control

Sisters of the Soil 2soilsisters at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:23:27 EST 2009

I think the biggest issue with squash bugs is controlling the following
year's population. Most squash varieties will tolerate a modest infestation.
The real trouble arises when the population goes out of control. Keeping
this in mind it would probably work just fine to run your guinea fowl in
your field at the end of the season to clean up many survivors that will
overwinter and cause you greater problems in the next season.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Marty Kraft <martyk at allspecies.org> wrote:

> Perhaps we should consider outlawing feedlots? That way birds won't pick up
> ecoli there.
>
>  On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:
>
>  I think it's more complicated than that. The Feds are responding to
> consumer fears about food safety, whether farms are small or big. One of the
> recent food safety scares was over contaminated spnach in a field where no
> manure was used. The source has been narrowed down to possible overhead
> flight of flocks of birds that had visited beef feedlots nearby. How do
> farms, small or big, control that kind of risk? Perhaps if we had more
> localized farming at a scale that would allow more people to farm we could
> get away from the risk to larger numbers of people from one contamination.
> But then we'd need to be able to produce reliably and in sufficient
> quantities near the eastern population centers year-round. We're not there
> yet, particularly when cheap petroleum keeps transportation costs low.

Sisters of the Soil
Jennifer and Doreen

2soilsisters at gmail.com
Jenn 484-3676