[Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins and "yams"

Owsley lucy boulderbelt at embarqmail.com
Sat Nov 7 04:32:17 EST 2009

I would think they would not work well unless you can control the
light so you get 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night as that is
something tropical crops require. I have tried my hand at a couple of
true tropicals and have had varying luck-Ginger can take long days
but melacoton (it would have born red cucumber like fruits had it
worked) must have 12 hour days (and temps never going below 65)

In MN If you can find true yams and even if you can address the light
issue do not expect the tubers to get big like they do in the tropics.

On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

> Good question. I would be interested as well.
>
> Bill

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH