[Market-farming] Squash bug control

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Nov 2 11:51:10 EST 2009

 On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:34:22 -0500, Road's End Farm wrote:
> I usually make my "pumpkin" pies (for home use, I don't sell pies) from
> winter squash. Most winter squashes make better pies than pumpkins. Hubbards
> are fantastic for this, Butternut very good; but leftovers of almost any
> winter squash I'll put into a pie. (I suspect spaghetti squashes wouldn't
> work well, but I don't like those much anyway.)

We use Bon-Bon buttercups for pies and breads. We haven't found anything as tasty. I planted quite a little spread of Johnny's new "honey bear" acorn squash, and was pretty disappointed in the taste--bland and stringy, compared to rich and sweet and smooth Bon-Bon.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/