[Market-farming] sour blueberries

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 29 09:41:09 EDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Liz wrote:

> I don't know if it's all the rain we've had & now the heat, but we
> have loaded blueberry bushes--except the berries are mostly sour.
> (The ones I sold last week were sweeter.)  They've come in about a
> week early so I'm not sure if later ones will sweeten up.  I should
> have known something was up since there has been little bird & deer
> damage.  I sold out of the berries by 8:00 last Saturday and they were
> priced almost twice what others had theirs priced.  I don't get a
> chance to scout the market before I'm inundated with customers & since
> we don't have a permanent spot, we're one of the last produce people
> allowed to set up before opening so we're usually scrambling to set up
> while selling at the same time.  Now I'm afraid those customers who
> bought last week will come back and buy these and they won't taste the
> same.  Should I warn them to sweeten them up a bit??  It doesn't take
> much and then the blueberry flavor really pops, but they don't taste
> like that on their own.

Yes, I would warn them. Explain that it's the weather (it probably is,
and customers will understand the weather as being something you can't
do anything about.) You might lose a few customers on the particular
day who won't buy them, but you'll gain more customers in the long run:
for one thing, they won't think your berries are always like that; for
another, they'll know you're honest, and that when you do say something
is sweet it actually is.