[Market-farming] Buying a New Fridge

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 29 09:06:22 EDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Owsley lucy wrote:

>  If this is for your farm produce spend the big bucks and get a
> commercial model.
>
> I bought a new home fridge 2 years ago and was informed that I would
> likely be replacing it in 5 to 7 years (though the sales rep said I
> might get 10 years out of it as it has no freezer and it is the
> freezer that usually goes out). I was surprised as this fridge was
> replacing one that was something like 28 years old. the sales rep said
> they do not make appliances to last much more than 5 to 7 years any
> longer-planned obsolescence and all.
>
> A commercial fridge will last 20+ years

In addition, I think you might be able to get a commercial fridge
designed for produce that will not dehydrate the contents.

Home refrigerators are now all frost-free, which may be an advantage
from the cleaning standpoint, but has the huge disadvantage that
anything in them that's not covered tight will be dried out by the
dehumidification process that makes them frost free (that, I think, is
why they have vegetable/fruit drawers; things in the drawers are
protected from this effect.)

(using an ancient commercial cooler and an old refrigerator on the side)