[Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 48

Errol Castens castens at nepower.coop
Fri Jun 26 18:36:52 EDT 2009

Kim Travis wrote:
... the first okra is due this weekend.  Mine is also ready and I have
no idea what price to sell it for. Or what size container.  The
customers are mostly singles or couples with no children.

Errol replies:
Can't help with the actual pricing, but it sounds like a potentially
upscale clientele. You might try making a "gumbo kit" with any of the
other following ingredients that you happen to grow. I borrowed this
recipe from cooks.com.

3/4 - 1 lb. fresh okra, sliced
1 lg. onion or 6 green onions, chopped
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 or 3 cloves garlic
Sprinkle of Mrs. Dash
Sprinkle of Gumbo File
Salt to taste
Sm. amount olive oil
1/2 c. rice, uncooked

Start cooking the rice while preparing the Gumbo mixture. Wash and cut
okra. Clean and chop onions, also garlic. Wash tomatoes and dice. Use a
non stick skillet. Add olive oil. Stir fry the above. Add a small amount
of water. Add seasonings. Cook until tender. Serve over cooked rice.