[Market-farming] Market prices?

Sue Wells farmersue at myfairpoint.net
Wed Jun 17 12:09:26 EDT 2009

I really have a hard time pricing summer squash. I tried $.75 each for them.
If they are small, people complain that is too much for them. I also have a
very hard time dealing with that figure, just because my brain doesn't work
as fast with that amount, so I go back to $.50 each. I can't figure out if
this is too cheap, but weighing it when I am very busy at the Market is so
hard. This is for large, medium and small. I am going to try small squash
with the blossoms on them this year, maybe at $1.00 each, does this sound
right?

Last year, I started out selling my green beans at $5/lb, then went down to
$4. I won't go cheaper, as they are too much work for selling cheaper.  My
shelling beans I sell for $5, unshelled. Shelled they will be more. Tomatoes
will be $4 -$5 pound. Mine are heirloom. I have never known what to charge
for hot peppers, so I sell my jalapenos for $.10 each and most of the rest
of hot peppers at $.25 each, except for my poblanos, they are $.50 each.

Corn around here sells for $5 to $7 doz.

Sue

Vermont

  _____