[Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Mon Jun 15 17:47:06 EDT 2009

Allan,
We get told the same thing here in Oklahoma. That broccoli does better as a fall crop, not spring. And, every year we somehow manage to get a nice spring crop. We plant early. About Feb. 15th here, weather permitting. It got down to either 16 or 18 degrees and the broccoli survived just fine. These were well hardened off transplants. We try and walk through the field about every other day. You will see the buds starting to swell and that's a good indicator that it is getting ready to bolt. We cut, dip in very cold water, and put it in the cooler until market day.  We do lose a few to bolting, but not many.
We are zone 6b/7.
Carla
Perkins, OK