[Market-farming] Update on Fungus problems with tomatoes

jay sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 22:34:05 EDT 2009

First of all thank you for all the help and advice you have given me on my quest for early hoop house tomatoes.  Here is what I have done.

First I treated everything for a magnesium deficiency, with an Epsom salt spray. I believe that fixed alot of my problems. The yellowing and necrosis has all but gone away.  I still have spots in the hoop house were I still see the Septoria or starts of Early Blight.  I have been spraying with a Fungicide, Daconil, every 7 days. I have also been removing diseased leaves or branches.  I have seen a dramatic decline in the amount I have been removing. From a plastic shopping bag a row to one per bag in the whole building.

My question is this, do I continue with only one spray or to I flip flop between a copper spray and the Daconil?

I still have a problem with some of my Cherry tomatoes, but they are coming around. Just not as fast as the others.

Now I am finding some Tomato Fruitworm or Varigated Climbing Cutworm damage. I have only found two worms, but they were found a week apart.  I may have to start spraying with BtK to kill them too.  I have never had these before.

Last year was so much easier. I planted, watered, weeded and harvested. My biggest problem was what price to charge for them.  I guess if you grow your building 4 times as big, you get 4 times the problems.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jay