[Market-farming] Tomato Research

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 11 22:21:37 EDT 2009

>Up here plastic may be better for tomatoes, as our soil much of the
>season runs cooler than they like, and plastic can help warm the
>soil, while organic mulches are more likely to cool it. My guess is
>that this is less of an issue in WV, unless maybe you're trying to
>get an extra early crop.

To be honest with you, I think my tomatoes under deep straw have
always done better than the ones on red or black plastic. And yet, I
keep hearing that it should be otherwise. You're right, though.
Sometimes it's hard to recognize when such advice is targeted for
certain USDA zones. -Allan in WV where the melons definitely do like
black plastic (in my experience)