[Market-farming] storing snow peas

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 11 20:44:46 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

> The joy of GOOGLE is that you can get almost any answer you want.
>
> For snow peas, I find '3 days' to be pretty standard but with some
> pretty reputable pages suggesting '3 weeks if in a paper bag in the
> crisper'
>
> i'd like to bridge from now until Sunday's market.
>
> Any hope?

My guess is that, with proper storage, they may still look OK; but I
would taste them for flavor right before market. At least some
varieties of peas lose peak flavor pretty fast.

I suspect "3 weeks in a paper bag in the crisper" comes under the
category of "well, they're not obviously rotten yet" rather than under
the category of "these are still really good"; though many people have
never had really fresh produce and don't know what it ought to be like.

Bear in mind that the customer may or may not eat them Sunday night;
but may want to hold them a couple of days further.