[Market-farming] Tomato Research

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 11 20:40:01 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

>>  But organic mulches that prevent soil splashing are really helpful.
>> You may still get it, but it probably won't be as intense as if you
>> hadn't used the mulch.
>
> So is plastic (with out soil on it) not good? -Allan in WV

Plastic mulch should also prevent the soil splashing.

Up here plastic may be better for tomatoes, as our soil much of the
season runs cooler than they like, and plastic can help warm the soil,
while organic mulches are more likely to cool it. My guess is that this
is less of an issue in WV, unless maybe you're trying to get an extra
early crop.