[Market-farming] Asparagus Beetles

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Thu Jun 11 15:35:15 EDT 2009

I believe Spinosad is organic and effective against asparagus beetles, but
can't be used during the harvest period. If yours is a new planting, perhaps
you're not harvesting this year, so that would be fine?

When our patch was new, 10 or more years ago, we used sabadilla, but I think
that is not OK with organic certification. Farmscaping can help for the
future (see ATTRA or DrMcBug). Our approach is to tackle them physically
during the harvest period, to keep numbers low. We harvest every single day
for 8 weeks, and catch and kill as many adults as possible. We harvest all
spears at 7", thus removing the eggs from the field. For many years, this
has been all the control we've needed.

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Virginia