[Market-farming] Tomato Research

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Thu Jun 11 10:40:52 EDT 2009

I am curious about a couple of things.

What is the best plant spacing for maximum production in pounds of
tomatoes? I have been tending toward close spacing because of my
limited urban space but if fewer plants will give me the same yield
then i would like to know that.

I think it was Bill that said that tomato blight was caused by the
plants remaining wet for long periods of time. There is also the idea
that rain or watering can splash soil up on the plants and that can
cause disease. When i keep the ground covered with straw my plants
seem to last longer. What is the research/experience on these two ideas?

Thanks

Marty in Kansas City