[Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 11 06:31:11 EDT 2009

My remarks were from experiences with the often recommended 'make a
loose bed, just push the seed potatoes in the ground and then cover
heavily with old hay. I have done this into beds that received
compost in the fall. I have never done it with formulated fertilizer
in the spring, so there can be other factors at play in my
experience. I've certainly never found loose clean potatoes in the
hay mulch though. Most of the spuds would be laying on the surface of
the soil even though the plants had very well penetrated the mulch