[Market-farming] GMO'S

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Wed Jun 10 08:11:07 EDT 2009

Kurt

Have you ever grown on a flood plain?  That is, a location that,
during late autumn, winter, and sometimes very early spring that is
often under water for a period of three or four days?  Most of the
floods are slow, depositing mineral rich soils and sands on the
property.  They also replenish the weed bank.  The weeds here tend to
be Johnson Grass and what we call Horse Weeds along with a diverse
cast of others.

Cultivating is nearly impossible once corn and beans get to a certain
age, other crops, especially certain cereal crops would be difficult
at best.   Hay and forage crops are gone in two years, filled with
weeds and unsellable and filled with crap that takes years to
breakdown in composting.

All of this is because of poor development planning and water runoff
controls from both other farms and residential and commercial
development along the Great Miami watershed.   We never used to flood
unless the Ohio River overflowed its banks, which is rare, given the
amount of of flood and navigation control we have these days.  Now we
flood three or four times a year.

But not during corn and bean seasons.

Add to that the fact that growing corn and soybean, which are by their
nature (unfortunately) in demand and easy to sell in a society that
refuses to pay good money for good food and expect everything "Chinese
Cheap" and throws up road blocks and hurdles every step of the way to
sell produce off the farm and it makes very good sense.  If I wanted
to grow switch grass for bio-fuels who do I sell it to?  There is no
infrastructure supporting it.

I do not grow any BT corn or beans and no study that I seen suggests
that Round-Up ready corn or beans impacts the health of our bee
colonies.

I talk with farmers at the local grain elevator when we haul to market
and those that do not use GMO corn still spray, they simply spray MORE
and use more diesel fuel.  Just like the no-till guys use more spray,
use more diesel and get lower yields.

As beekeeper that is interested in working with Ohio Ag and local
fruit and vegetable farmers I try to learn all I can about how folks
use pesticides to protect me bees AND to provide alternatives.  As a
grower I use NO pesticides or herbicides on my grapes or other fruit
trees...AT ALL, even proscribed "organic" sprays, which can still
impact my honey bees.  I know LOTS of non-GMO sweet corn and pumpkin
and melon growers and let me tell you, for being non-GMO I'd never
take my bees near their land.  Its a death zone.  Most sweet corn (non-
GMO) is sprayed about every four days for ear worm and root
protection, apples and oranges and are sprayed with a whole cocktail
of stuff.  Vine crops are sprayed continuously as well.

GMO is a red herring though I do agree that specific types of GMO seed
types (BTs and Terminators are a major threat).  Not all GMOs are
created equal or are evil.  The problem is monoculture and resource
use that, in the end, will be our undoing (be it organic or not).

Which is more dangerous to a region?  The use of a herbicide, or
triple the amount of diesel fuel usage to cultivate, then four times
the amount of water to irrigate weed seeds, followed by more
irrigation because humans are trying to establish a crop in an arid or
semi-arid region?

I'd love to go complete non-GMO just because people ARE uneducated
when it comes to GMO vs non-GMO and it gets us slapped with
nonsensical stereotype.  Non-GMO is our situation would mean we would
increase our herbicide spray regimen and increased diesel fuel useage
to cultivate at the early stages.

Much like large scale organic produce production it is not the perfect
answer to our food problems.  You get Americans to pay 8.00 apound for
good healthy heirloom tomatoes and I'll be more than happy to stop
growing corn.  I plant switch grass and sell that to the local bio-
fuel producer...if there was one.

I have a farm that is 300 acres.  Its been in the family since 1855.
You get what you get and you make it work.

I tried not to turn that into a rant and really explain our position.
You'll see folks like Mary condemn me and claim that she is glad that
I am not her neighbor, but I know, roughly where she is,
geographically, and trust me, I am a GOOD neighbor to have.  She has
LOTS of GMO crops up there, and lots of spraying going on and lots of
chemical fertilizers as well.  I make attempts to actually control how
we do it, make sure that every field is ringed in by a dense stand of
trees and that the GMO property is lower than the non-GMO/organic/
forage property.  I manage wildlife and encourage diversity.  We
rotate crops rather than plant year after year of corn till we HAVE to
amend or plant beans or plow under a crop of wheat to add organic
matter.

It is simply one part of a puzzle that works for us.  We have a
profitable farm and the money made from those crops allows me to build
up our produce and beekeeping business.

Have a good day!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm