[Market-farming] not precisely GMO'S: different areas/types of farming

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 10 09:35:33 EDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 9:10 AM, SaladG at aol.com wrote:

> No Kurt is not impossible to farm without chemicals, we do, however
> less than 20' from our gardens is farmed by a Corp that farms 25,000
> acres and they plant, spray, and combine and what weeds escape the
> roundup spray get's to be my problem.  I would have to move I don't
> know where to get away from this type of government subside farming,
> maybe out of the country to get away from it.
>
> Phil from Iowa

Certainly not out of the country. Possibly to some area in which the
presence of hills, lakes, rivers, etc. preclude the huge fields
attractive to the sort of operation that farms 25,000 acres.

Even some of those operations are now trying to get into the organic
market; and, though they may not be what most of us think of as
sustainable farming, would presumably at least not be using roundup;
but maybe this isn't happening in Iowa yet.

You may, of course, have lots of reasons for not wanting to pack up and
move.