[Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons

Margaret L. Wilson booldawgs at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 10 00:05:50 EDT 2009

Margaret
http://farfarawayfarm.blogspot.com/
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Beth Spaugh
  To: 'Market Farming'
  Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:38 AM
  Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons

  We got a cheap electric fence charger, screwed electric fence insulators to the bottom of the frame about 3 inches (above mowing height) and ran a strand of electric fence wire around the outside, maybe 3 inches off the ground and 3 to 4 inches out from the frame.  This was with our first Andy Lee type chicken tractor - not a design I recommend. Now we have Premier electric netting. They make a short 82 foot length, and in 24 and 30" heights that are convenient and "step overable".

  Beth Spaugh

  Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

  Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

  Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

  "How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

  "Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe