[Market-farming] peat moss

Andy Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Tue Jun 9 19:31:26 EDT 2009

I have to disagree on this.  The amount of peat mined each year is less
than is being created.  In Canada, where the majority of US Peat Moss
comes from there are more than 200 million acres of peat land and
approximately 40,000 acres are being mined.  On a net basis, there is
more peat being created each year than is being used for horticultural
purposes.  The bigger threat to peat lands is agricultural development
where the wetlands containing peat are drained and converted to crop land.

Coir also has some issues, most prominently the fact that it is shipped
from halfway around the world, so it has a fairly large carbon footprint.

My main point is that each amendment has pluses and minuses and one
should be aware of what they are rather than unequivocally condemning or
praising them.

Andy