[Market-farming] yellow wax bean

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 9 08:40:27 EDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:40 PM, cjmaness at juno.com wrote:

> I'm growing yellow wax beans for the first time at the request of one
> of our customers. First pick was today, and these have got to be the
> ugliest things I've seen. They look like a sun-burnt green bean. I
> guess I was expecting a golden yellow color instead of this pale
> washed out yellow. Is this normal? Have I done something wrong? Is
> variety the key to a prettier yellow? We are growing Carson. I've
> never eaten them, seen, etc... except in the seed catalogs, and these
> don't even come close to what I was expecting. Any words of wisdom out
> there?
> Thanks,
> Carla
> Perkins, OK

I've never grown Carson, so don't know about that variety. I usually
now grow Golden Rocky, but have grown others. I'm not sure what you're
describing, but I expect them to come out looking fairly close to the
pictures in, for instance, the Johnny's seed catalogue -- I note one of
theirs is Carson. -- Yellow beans often start off green, and get good
color just about when they're ready to pick -- are you picking them
extra small? There are yellow filet varieties, and I expect those color
sooner, but most are meant to pick at a standard green bean size. Of
course if they're too big they'll be tough, like regular green beans. I
tell anyone picking to take them as soon as they're all or mostly
yellow. But I expect this does vary with variety.

The flavor's slightly different, though should still definitely taste
like beans; I don't personally think the flavor's as good on yellows as
on really good greens, but opinions vary, some of the customers like
the yellows better.