[Market-farming] GMO crops

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Mon Jun 8 19:26:33 EDT 2009

Hello, My Name is Richard, and I am a GMO user.

These discussions always end ugly but I'll put my hand up in favor if
some types of GMO.

I will argue that some GMO crops DO have their place.  I have 160
acres of bottom lands that I know till.  Every year the weed base is
replenished.  A GMO corn or soybean does allow me to make use of this
land. I could cultivate the weeds or try to choke it with a cover
crop.  All of it has been tried.  We do a single herbicide spray to
kill competing plants and that is it.  No pesticides and no other
fertilizers.

In other areas we do not use the same seed and do Non-GMO.

I would, literally, be impossible for us to farm this land without GMO
seed types.

This land provides us with a good income, the land's fertility is
strong because of backwater floods that deposit mineral rich soil
(along with weed seeds).  After seven full days spread out over three
to four weeks we now have all 160 acres in the ground and can focus on
produce, market, managing bees, and baling hay for our horse
operation.  That land's value runs between 40 and 80 thousand dollars
a year depending on the market.

We use a fraction of the fuel that most large scale organic production
uses too farm the same number of acres and do not irrigate at all.
Both of which are a massive drain on resources, are polluters, and
wreck the evironment.  Which is the lesser of two evils?  I do not
have the answer to that.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio