[Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain

Patricia Rupiper arupiper at bright.net
Mon Jun 8 04:33:10 EDT 2009

Liz, and others in the rain belt
I have managed to place old straw in the rows and pull up around the
potatoes (mind you, I only have 250 plants of fingerlings). When the
soil dries a little, I add a thin layer of soil to the straw layer
then repeat the layers at another time. The cost of the old straw is
cheaper, and really adds organic matter. Makes the potatoes clean and
easier to reach. Watch for rotting! It does hold the moisture when the
clouds quit dripping. That is why I only use a little soil - some
nutrient there for the roots but no mud (straw - clay - water =
bricks!), the channel created from removing the soil helps to drain
the rows. Mine is all hand work.
On another note - there was a statement that said there existed no GMO
tomatoes. I looked on a research list and there are 685 ongoing trials
in U.S. alone. So they do exist.  Bill, do you know if any are for
sale as seeds yet?
Thanks,
Pat Southern Ohio zone 6