[Market-farming] Hilling Early Potatoes Late

jay sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 21:33:39 EDT 2009

I am digging my potatoes here in Kansas. I started  planting  them on March 21st. Then two weeks later and two week later.   I usually hill them up and mulch heavy.  Here in the "Wheat State" straw in cheap.  I usually use 2-3 year old round bales of straw.  This way the wheat seed has rotted or sprouted.  I go through 3-4 big round bales a year.

I am going to try something different this year.  I am going to dig all my potatoes earlier and sell for new potatoes and come back and replant the area with more potatoes and other stuff.

I can easily sell "New Potatoes" and it always seems to be harder to sell larger potatoes for a fair price,  unless they are Yukon Gold.

So, I weeded and hilled up late, like you and I am not going to spend time mulching.  We are very wet and if it turns off dry before I am finished I will water.  I will mulch my later potatoes.

BTW, 600 pounds of each variety?  That is alot of potatoes. I only plant 130-150 pounds total.

Just don't make the mistake I did one year and try to hill them up when the soil was too wet.  When it dried out, it was like concrete clods and the potatoes were misshapen. I learned my lesson.

My point is I would try to hill them up, at least you will get more soil coverage and then forget about mulching.  Maybe dig earlier.  I am digging the potatoes that I hilled 3-4 weeks ago.

Jay