[Market-farming] "new" vehicle

michelle rome michelleann7 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 19:41:32 EST 2009

Beth wrote:

"We have had a Subaru Legacy and a pickup truck. Early and late I could take the Subaru to markets, then switch to the truck during the high season. The Subaru is falling apart (1997). I hate to go in the wrong direction on mpg, but am looking at used Honda CRV, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander Hybrid as options to replace the Subaru. Their aren’t many small wagons with service around here. I would love a Prius, but it just doesn’t quite have enough space, and within the next year or so they are supposed to come out with a plug in and a minivan, so will probably wait on those options for the next vehicle."
Beth, I have a used Suburu Forester and I bought it with 43k miles and 3 years old. You can't beat the Suburu's for your climate - think about the winter weather, your safety, ground level accessibility to the veges. These Suburus are good for 200 to 300k miles. Not much trouble with mine & 26mpg and strong. Like your approach to step up to the truck when things get big. If you had a 6 cyl Suburu - then why not consider a small tag along trailer to deliver your veges. Unless you are tall, the SUVs or a fullsize pickup are going to work you out climbing in and out carrying baskets. Consider also a small pickup like a 6cyl Dodge Dakota with an extended cab and long bed for deliveries.
You can buy a 3 year old Suburu or a used Dakota for about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price of the models you listed. Consider something reliable, lower to the ground, low maintenance. Put some premium tires on the vehicle then drive it.
My practical advice.

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms E&W SC