[Market-farming] Recession

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 25 15:21:09 EST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Andrew King wrote:

>    How do you think the recession will affect sales at Farmers Markets?

Hard to say about this coming year. But in 08 sales were up.

We had all had to raise our prices; but as all other prices had gone up
also, our customers seemed to have expected it. We have high quality at
the market (not only my stall, but in general). People trying to save
money by eating at home instead of at restaurants may have been more
willing to buy quality produce; they would still be spending less
overall. And people worried about the general economy seemed if
anything more willing to support the local economy.

I'm probably going to try to hold 09 prices at the 08 level, rather
than raise them further; but it's possible that the current threat of
deflation will turn into significant inflation instead, as the
government tries to push money into the system to keep it from freezing
up altogether (necessary right now, in my opinion, but it does carry
that risk). So watch out for that one when setting your prices.
It won't help your customers any if you go out of business.