[Market-farming] plastic mulch over johnson grass?

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sat Feb 21 11:35:29 EST 2009

We have sown winter wheat as cover crop and simply let it go to seed
and reestablish AND mechanical mowing.  Seems to work well with both
Johnson Grass and Horse Weeds.  Then we disk lightly sow our pasture
seed mix, mow the wheat prior to seeding and it seems to do quite well.

Our problem is that five years later its back.   We have a lot of
property on flood plain and while most of it only sees a little
flooding over a year some years are worse than others.  The weed seed
bank is added to again.

So its repeat the process.  It works though, really well.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855