[Market-farming] Quack grass

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Fri Feb 20 15:40:45 EST 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:27:01 -0700, you wrote:

>This reminds me of a tale Charles Walters told about an ag teacher telling
>his class how to control nasty grasses - cover with plastic to heat kill the
>tops, then till the soil, remove every tiny piece of root, let the roots
>dry, then burn them and then BE VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU DISPOSE OF THE ASHES!

This is exactly right.  Thanks!  :)

And when your garden is surrounded - on all sides - by grass (which is
really mostly witchgrass) - it's very difficult to keep it from coming
back.  You know, the stuff has roots that go many yards under the
ground.... plus it makes seeds and they blow around.

Pat
--
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide
what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall