[Market-farming] small scale chisel questions

Jason Jones JJones at thehomestead.org
Fri Feb 20 13:05:19 EST 2009

Here is my dilemma.  I am looking to replace a 2-bottom moldboard plow
for use on a 6 acre mixed vegetable CSA farm.  I am looking to replace
the moldboard with a chisel plow, but am not familiar with these types
of plows and this is making the process harder.  In the past my tillage
system involved either fall or spring plowing with the moldboard
followed by a rototiller to create a better seedbed.  Once the soil is
worked over with the tiller, I then come and hill the soil into beds and
cover the beds with a mulch layer.

I have been looking at the Yoemans plow, or at least the Yoemans shanks
mounted on a fabricated toolbar, but these types of plows are the more
expensive of this type of equipment.  My tractor is an 80hp 2wd model
which should allow me to pull a 5 shank chisel with no problem.  My
questions are these:

Is it best to purchase a cheaper model of chisel that has 7 shanks and
remove two of the shanks, or does it make more sense to purchase a five
shank model that is set up with just those five shanks?

Would the Yoemans necessarily be better than other types of chisels in
small scale production systems?

Is there anyone out there who has recently stopped using the moldboard
and switched to chiseling?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks,

Jason Jones

Farm Manager