[Market-farming] Setting up a Propagation Mat

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Feb 19 09:19:02 EST 2009

I seem to recall reading that a propagation mat should be sandwiched
between two foam insulation boards, covered with grounded metal
window screening and then covered with a sheet of heavy (waterproof)
plastic

I've got one of those large rubber-like mats that Leonard "used to"
sell. I noticed earlier in this year that it seems to be putting out
spotty heat, so I thought maybe I better put a sheet of insulation
board on top of it spread out the heat evenly.

Does anyone else set their mat up like this? Do you use the grounded
screen? After the mat attains heat (I do have an industrial
thermostat), is there any reason why the insulation boards would be
'too much' for it?

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences and ideas.

Thanks

-Allan in WV