[Market-farming] CSA

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 15 10:19:36 EST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Jim Goodman wrote:

> By the way, could someone tell us what a CSA is......I guess its some
> kind of consumer group...we would like to try something like this in
> our local city ....sorry, we're new!
>
> Jim
>
> Malawi.

Community Supported Agriculture.

Basically, customers/members pay a set amount per year for a share of
that year's production; and expect to get farm product (often weekly,
for a set number of weeks during the year); with exactly what's in the
shares varying by season and according to what's doing well on that
farm. They generally also expect a more direct connection with "their
farm" than they'd have from getting their food by other routes.

Beyond that, details vary wildly. Here's a good web site to start from:

http://www.wilson.edu/wilson/asp/content.asp?id=804