[Market-farming] Curing, or Cut-n-Plant, potato seed pieces

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 13 10:02:30 EST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Willie McKemie wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:22:49PM -0500, Steve Diver wrote:
>> Any opinions on the value of cutting potato seed pieces
>> and letting them cure a week or two before planting?
>
> There's all sorts of folklore on that topic.  Maybe dust the cut pieces
> with wood ashes.  The only advantage I see in cutting them long before
> planting is maybe to induce some sprouting by storing them in a warm
> place.  Pre-cutting would limit sprout damage due to handling.

I've found it helps a good deal to green mine before planting; but I
don't cut them till right before planting, I green them whole -- spread
them out in shallow trays, in the light, in a moderately warm room. The
light keeps the sprouts short, so they can still be handled without
knocking sprouts off.

This may be impractical on a large scale, though. I only plant about a
hundred pounds.

Is anybody else using this combination method -- green first, cut later?