[Market-farming] Curing, or Cut-n-Plant, potato seed pieces

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Feb 13 09:18:16 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:22:49PM -0500, Steve Diver wrote:
> Any opinions on the value of cutting potato seed pieces
> and letting them cure a week or two before planting?

There's all sorts of folklore on that topic.  Maybe dust the cut pieces
with wood ashes.  The only advantage I see in cutting them long before
planting is maybe to induce some sprouting by storing them in a warm
place.  Pre-cutting would limit sprout damage due to handling.

> Or, just cut-n-plant the potato seed pieces and plant
> them in the ground the same day?
>
> We got a sack of potatoes and this weekend would
> be the early planting dates for our region in
> Central Texas.

Not really.  Valentine Day is the traditional potato planting time
around here, but much earlier works well also.  I've had potatoes get
their tops frosted several times and still produce well.  I start
trying to find potato planting time in early January.

Many potatoes get ruined by fire ants.  If you're organic, I don't know
what options you have.  Else, soil application of Lorsban.

I think a good potato crop depends on factors other than fresh or cured
cuts.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  426 days  3 hours 06 minutes