[Market-farming] plug production questions

John Hendrickson jhendric at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 10 12:34:38 EST 2009

Three thoughts on this topic:

Because peat tends to repel water and can be hard to moisten evenly once
in plastic cell trays, I find it best to fill flats with moist
(dampened), but not wet, potting mix (I use a compost/peat mix from
Vermont Compost).  Also, I water seeds in with hot water which helps the
flats start out warm before going into a (homemade) germination chamber.

Finally, because growing high quality transplants is so important and
requires as much learning and experience to do well as all the summer
field activities, I encourage people starting out to take advantage of
opportunities to buy transplants from experienced growers or to rent
space in experienced growers' greenhouses.

-John

--
John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems