[Market-farming] plug production questions

Rachel Evans rachel at sunshinefarmmarket.com
Tue Feb 10 11:48:56 EST 2009

Hi all,

I need some basic guidance on producing plugs for transplanting.
We're planting out just 2 acres of market garden this year (up to 4
acres in the past) here in north central Washington, growing all our
own transplants.

Up until now, I've used the soil block system, which was what I was
taught on the farms where I interned.  I'm thinking of moving to using
plug trays and experimented with them last year with not so good
results.  I think I'm lacking some basic understanding.

I think our major problem last year was with our potting mix.  The mix
needed for blocks must be very different than that used in plugs (esp.
smaller sizs eg 128s).  Our soil block mix, which we made ourselves,
was about 3 buckets  of worm castings, 3 buckets of peat, 2 buckets of
perlite, plus lime and organic fertilizer.  Nice and sticky so the
blocks would hold together but I'm thinking I need much less compost
in a plug mix--more like half peat and half vermiculite or something?
and no compost?

I think one of the mistakes we made last year was filling the plug
flats with moist potting mix.  Again, this may sound basic--but with
soil blocks of course you start with the mix nice and wet.  The mix
wouldn't get to the bottom of the plugs.  So...if I fill the plug
trays with dry potting mix, what's the next step?  Do you irrigate
first or seed first?  If you seed, andif you're putting on enough
water to soak the peat, doesn't the irrigation water dislodge many of
the seeds?  Or do you bottom water?  Bottom watering seems like a good
plan, but with more logistical fuss...  do you keep bottom watering or
then move to overhead sprinkling?  Do you seed first or bottom water
first?

As far as fertilizer, are people able to put enough granular
fertilizer in the plug mix to support a transplant for 4 weeks, or is
foliar feeding always necessary? (We're talking about organic
production here.)

Finally, if you don't mind, these are the size plugs I'm using for
various plants.  Does this all look right to you

72s--lettuce, brassicas, greens, etc, (or are people generlaly having
success with 128s--they're so small!)
50s--cucurbits
24s--tomatoes (or 3.5" pots), eggplants, peppers
128s--for starting tomatoes before potting up(--or is this weird?)

I see the advantages of plugs as being:  less time and labor compared
with making blocks, less space used on the greenhouse bench, possibly
easier transplanting (we've played with the hatfield from Johnny's).
But there's no advantage to them if I can't figure out how to grow a
high quality transplant!

Are there resources or books people can point me to so I can get my
remedial education on this?

Thanks,

Rachel

--