[Market-farming] transplanting carrots

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Fri Feb 6 11:20:14 EST 2009

I know folks transplant beets. I wonder if anyone has had success
transplanting carrots. I have seeded them in the hoophouse in February with
June harvest. They were great, and the CSA loved having carrots early. So, I
wonder about getting earlier harvests outside too?

I tried presprouting and suspending in a cornstarch gel to get an earlier
start. Could see it had potential, but I still had trouble spacing them out
enough, and it would take quite a few ziplocks of them to seed enough for a
100 share CSA harvest. I did learn you have to cover the cornstarch and seed
well or the cornstarch will dry out and encrust the seed. But that would get
them germinated earlier.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com <http://rhomestead.com/>

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe

  _____