[Market-farming] How to Plow

Gregory Strella gregory.strella at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:20:04 EDT 2008

I'm looking to convert four or five acres of grass at a former horticulture
vocational school near Baltimore, MD into an organic market farm and
agricultural education site.  There are some hedges and trees (mostly pine)
in the mix as well.  Being a younger grower, I've never attempted to grow in
soil that wasn't recently cultivated in one form or another.  My main
concern is how many experts (both extension *and *several local organic
growers) are advising me to spray glyphosate on the perennial grasses (looks
like fescue, mainly) before I try to grow there.  This brings me to two
questions:

1. Using a John Deere w/ ~ 35hp and renting/borrowing any tillage implements
other than a mower or rototiller, is there a reliable way to mechanically
break the sod next spring, grow *some *cash crops there at some point in
2009, and not face overwhelming perennial-grass weed pressure for "the next
10 years"?

2. If glyphosate *is* the best way to go - now that the window has closed on
an effective fall application - when is the best time to spray in the
spring?  What sequence of soil preparation would you advise
pre/post-application?

I apologize if these are naive questions.  I'd much prefer to not rush
vegetables into the ground and deal with the grasses slowly and thoroughly,
but the time-table for this project is out of my hands.  Thanks in advance
for any advice you have and for all the great posts as of late.

Greg Strella
Meristem Farm
Reisterstown, MD