[Market-farming] pumpkin trash

sunnfarm at netscape.com sunnfarm at netscape.com
Thu Oct 30 20:37:16 EDT 2008

You got a lot of options. This year I harvested pumpkins, disc the field once to cut up the vines then broadcast rye mixed with crimson clover and then disc again to cover the seed. I have broadcasted seed into the unharvested crop but never got a good stand. I have seeded and grew pumpkins together with covercrops with so so results. I have also seeded perennial ryegrass just before vines run and the grass makes a nice cover around pumpkin harvest time. This last method seems to be the best... I seeded cover a month ago and just got rain this week, my fields have greened up nicely with as little as one half bushel rye per acre. Rye presently is selling fore $16 a bushel so I stretched it from the usual 2 bu per acre recommendations... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.