[Market-farming] pumpkin trash

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Thu Oct 30 18:05:30 EDT 2008

I've been growing pumpkins for a few years, and have dutifully pulled the vines off the field at the end of the season and thrown them on a "compost" pile at the field edge. But I'm wondering if I am doing any good, and whether (since I rotate my pumpkin fields ) I can just leave the vines on the field, mulch over them for the winter, and then plant something else next year, and stop worrying about removing them. Any thoughts or experiences?

Also, do those of you who grow pumpkins sow a winter cover crop while the pumpkins are still growing strong? It's too late by the time I harvest, so the field stays bare, except for the thinning mulch.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/