[Market-farming] New Opportunity? Certified Gluten-Free Oats

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Wed Oct 22 19:08:11 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Pat Meadows wrote:

> There are 'certified gluten-free oats' available from a few
> suppliers. They
> are VERY expensive.  Take a look:
>
> http://www.bobsredmill.com/home.php?cat=123 (Bob's Red Mill is the
> largest
> supplier of gluten-free grains, cereals, etc. that I am aware of. They
> apparently have had trouble getting gluten-free oats - they had
> them for a
> while, dropped them, and have just now started selling them again.)
>
> http://www.giftsofnature.net/Products.asp
>
> There are a few, very few, other suppliers of gluten-free oats who
> can be
> found by Googling.
>
> I buy a lot of gluten-free foods now from Barry Farm in Ohio -
> www.barryfarm.com .  They are not presently selling any gluten-free
> oats,
> however.
>
> I just thought there might be an opportunity here for an enterprising
> farmer or two.

I looked for GF oats two years in a row at the Natural Products Expo
West.  Gluten-free is the new hot thing in natural foods so everyone
was aware of it.  There are a handful of growers who are able to do
this (you need dedicated equipment and no gluten grains grown nearby)
and almost no retailers (Bob's being one of the few).

But here's the thing, there is NO ONE who is doing certified GF and
certified organic oats.  I'm a small manufacturer and need this for
my products (very tiny amounts, not enough to make it worth anyone's
while, though if someone knows of a source, let me know).  I know a
lot of people with celiac and other forms of gluten intolerance who
really want these chemical-free and then there are food and personal
care manufacturers like me who have to have the organic
certification.  Right now it seems the only commercially available
oats free from wheat contamination are conventually grown.

The tests for gluten contamination are not expensive, if I recall
correctly.  I mean not not the sense of testing a big lot.  They are
too expensive for consumers.  You would need to do the testing to
make the claim (ethically anyway).

By the way, some more direct links would be:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=4075&cat=123&page=1
http://www.giftsofnature.net/Catalog.asp

Cyndi
Tikvah Organics