[Market-farming] How to Plow

Andy Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Wed Oct 15 07:42:36 EDT 2008

I'm scaling up and looking for information on setting up and operating
larger equipment, specifically the best way to open up and plow fields
which have been mowed, but not planted in a long (>15 years) time.  Up
to now I've usually worked up 1/4-1/2 acre at a time at the most and
used a 3pt mounted rototiller.

I'll be planting larger areas next year and am looking for good how-to
guides.  On the equipment side for the larger fields I have an Allis
Chalmers 180 (~70hp) with a 14" Oliver plow (plow can be set up as 3 or
4 bottoms), 8' disk, 12' disk, 8' cultipacker, 10' cultimulcher, 8'
S-Tine cultivator.  I've mowed the field this season and may have time
to get out and fall plow if it makes sense.

Andy