[Market-farming] Bagged Lettuce Mix for Market

sora at coldreams.com sora at coldreams.com
Mon Jun 30 22:21:35 EDT 2008

> I am looking for some feedback in order to gain insight and fresh ideas
> concerning the packaging, and marketing of fresh leaf lettuce mix at
> farmers
> markets.
I soak my mix in Cold water for 1-2 hours...spin dry...pack 6 oz. into
gallon bags...no holes...I roll down the tops like a dry bag to trap in a
bit of air to help prevent damage.  keep and bring to market in coolers
with 2 frozen blue fake ice packs on the bottom with a towel between the
ice and bags.
At market for display, I place another 2 ice packs with decorative towel
into a flat basket and keep 3 bags out at a time...replace from cooler as
sold.
People won't buy if they can't see it.
                     Sora in Paradise Valley where it is 97 degrees, at
least 20 degrees above normal, and the lettuce is
ready to bolt...me too