[Market-farming] pruning garlic scapes, now purslane / wild greens

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 30 08:33:52 EDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 6:48 AM, breck wrote:

> I have always thought about selling some purslane, but never have.
> Would you mind sharing some info on how you sell and price it?
> Big thanks,
> Breck

Don't really know what the standard is, if there is a standard for the
wild greens.

What I do is pull the stuff; trim the roots off, which is timeconsuming
with young purslane and fairly fast when it's a bit older; wash it;
bring it to market in a box and sell it by the bag. -- Don't bring it
if it's old enough to have flower buds, the flavor isn't good when it's
that old.

This is a market not accustomed to people selling the weeds (you need
to be prepared for the occasional customer to snarl at you for it,
though it helps if they're interrupted by another customer exclaiming
with delight "Oh great, you brought purslane!", which also happens) and
I started off pricing it fairly cheap, and have been working the price
up gradually. I'm now up to $2.00 a bag, which is the same as last
year, except this year the bags aren't as full (gallon size bags, loose
packed.) That's probably about $4 to $6 per pound, though I don't
generally weigh the bags. I have to pull it anyway, so basically I'm
charging for bringing it up from the field, sorting it out from other
weeds present, trimming it, washing it, hauling it, bagging it: which
does take a while.

What do others do with purslane? lambsquarters? etc. ?