[Market-farming] pruning garlic scapes

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 29 21:31:40 EDT 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Richard Robinson wrote:

> How low (or high) on the stem should I prune my stiff-neck garlic
> scapes? Right below the swelling? Down low where it emerges from the
> leaves?
>
> thanks,
> Richard, trying to keep up with the purslane

If they're young enough, you should be able to pull them; just pull
straight up on the scape, it'll break off and come out. Or snap them
off, as low as you reasonably can.

Then you can eat them; or sell them. The stem is tender and good, if
you get them young enough. The flower swelling is tough. I bunch them
nine or ten in a bunch, tied with a twistie; this year's price is 1.50
/ bunch.

You could try selling the purslane, too; it's good stuff. However we
always have more of it than there's market for here . , ,