[Market-farming] dealing with rye

John Ferree john at seldomseenfarm.com
Wed Jun 25 19:48:07 EDT 2008

yeah, i think to manage rye you really need either a flail or howard.
or both.  i've got a flail, but over estimated how much my tractor could
handle (80").  so i didn't even bother trying it on the rye.  need to
take those outside flails off and see what happens.

we'll see.  i was hoping to take advantage of the grown fertility for
the fall, but those plants are going out in 3 weeks.  even if i turned
it under now there wouldn't be enough decomposition.  doesn't help that
the rye has started to dry out. . . at this point it would prolly be a
great way to tie up nitrogen.

thanks all
john