[Market-farming] Leaf-footed bugs

Steve Diver steved at ipa.net
Mon Jun 23 00:03:52 EDT 2008

Thanks, Shawnee

Yeah the true bugs are among the harder to control;
they are built like tanks.

When the leaf-footed bug feeds on tomato fruits they
look awful.  A market farmer would really have to
be on their toes.

By happenchance I've come across a cultural observation.
Being a horticulturist who's seen plenty of plant
diseases on tomatoes and cukes, I avoid splashing water
on plants in the evening.

But DW is a "mister". She loves to mist the plants in
late afternoon / evening and says the plants are telling
her that's what they need.

One recent evening she hosed down the tomato jungle.
Soon after I noticed a number of leaf-footed bugs had
crawled to the top of the plants where they were sitting
on upper leaves and bamboo stakes.  So they were easy to
spot and pick off.

So I tried it again this evening and sprayed down the
tomato plants with a hose shower.  Sure enough, pretty
soon the leaf-footed bugs were sitting on leaves at
top of the plants.....  so easy to pick off.

Steve Diver
Central Texas
.... with 15 record breaking hot days in May-June 2008